As some of you have noticed, there was a little discussion recently about the wrong link in the The Last header on the official site. As a result of that discussion, I started writing a Greasemonkey script that fixes and improves several aspects The Last's and some connected pages in the EQALspace.
Since The Last is nearing its end and will only be there for another week or so, we figured it might be time to give the script some more exposure, so that as many people as possible get to enjoy the improved The Last site before it becomes obsolete.
Changes to the unscripted site include, but are not limited to:
- Fixed header link
- Fixed browser titles on the main page as well as discussion pages
- The Last has its own favicon (the page icon in the tab or on bookmarks)
- "Discussion", on The Last's page, links directly to the The Last discussion area
- Links to both shows on the forums and on the "Community" page
- Radically redesigned comment space on the episode pages, to fit into the rest of the layout
- Graphical smileys for the comment boards and forums
- Rudimentary BBCode for the comment boards and forums
- Automatic LGPedia links on every episode
- Additional chat link using mibbit instead of java (in the user bar)
- Fixed the sidebar to actually go down all the way, instead of being segmented
In my own, very biased opinion, the page looks a lot more "whole" with these tweaks - more like one design instead of a puzzle of functionalities.
Unfortunately, the number of testers so far was very limited, so the comment colors might not fit everyone's taste. Feel free to voice your opinion in the comments, though, as I will continue to improve the scheme in hopes to find a compromise everyone can agree on. :)
Note the LGPedia link:
I want it, how do I get it?
Getting the script to run is a simple two-step procedure:
- If you're among the few not using Firefox 3 yet, you can get it here.
- Install Greasemonkey from here.
- Install the Link Fix from here.
I'm on a Mac, though! :S
Fear not! Our resident modelbot has found this solution that allows you to run the script in Safari - according to the bot, it's running just fine!
Is this permanent?
Not at all. You can deactivate the script at any time (right-click the monkey in the lower right corner, uncheck the Link Fix), deinstall the script, or deinstall Greasemonkey. The site will immediately return to normal.
I'm curious, but have more questions...
Post in the comments below here! I'll gladly answer all questions there might be.
I want to slay/castrate/yell at/hug/marry you!
Same as above - place any feedback in the comments below or in the thread model opened a while ago.
Last but not least, I hope you all enjoy the script :)