Perhaps you haven't noticed it, but its true. In the first few months of 2010, the YouTube comedy sensation The Annoying Orange has rapidly become the most popular web series in the world.
In March 2006, California independent filmaker Dane Boedigheimer began posting comedy videos on YouTube. In December, he posted what became his first viral hit (now with over 6 million views) --"Screaming Eggs"-- a 60 second video featuring talking animated eggs with human features (and which had previously won film awards earlier that year).
After experimenting with similar videos featuring eggs, apples, pumpkins, etc., (in addition to other comedy vids), Dane posted his first "Annoying Orange" video on October 9, 2009. It was another viral hit (over 13 million views by now), and as subsequent Orange videos also took off, the separate RealAnnoyingOrange channel was created on January 11, 2010.
Since then, well, its been a meteoric rise for the mouthy (and, yes, annoying) Orange. For February 2010 views, the Annoying Orange smashed to a first place debut on the Mashable "Top 10 Most Watched Web Series" chart with an amazing 29 million views. And then it racked up 52 million hits (and another 1st place showing) for March 2010.
Without question, The Annoying Orange's sophomoric comedy is certainly annoying to many adults, but Dane has hit a sweet spot with the youth and teen markets, a success not seen since the equally-annoying-to-adults FRED broke out in 2008. The volume of views is phenomenal, and highlights the difference between the type of comedy "webseries" that draws huge views and those typically featured on sites like Tubefilter, whose one mention of the series called it "pure, pure unfunny highly concentrated, in droplet form."
What do you think? Funny? Annoying? A sign of the impending Mayan apocalypse?
- Dane's original channel on youtube: Daneboe
- The Annoying Orange on youtube (realannoyingorange)
- HeyApple.com: The Annoying Orange Blog
- Nalts Interview with Dane, done via egg animation (2007) (reposted via a post on Nalt's blog in February 2010)
- March 2010 interview with Boedigheimer in a leading Romanian newspaper (Yes, Romania.) (via Google translate)
- YouTube Meets Daneboe and The Annoying Orange! (Jan 2010)(video from wickedawesomefilms featuring Dane and the Orange)